Bad breath requires medical and personal attention. It is a condition that can lower your confidence, especially when you are in contact with your spouse, friends, and coworkers. The worst part is that people with bad breath are not always aware of their condition!
Causes of bad breath
Naturally, people get bad breath when fasting. During this period, bacteria in the mouth turns food particles into sulfur gas, hence causing a bad breath. In essence, your mouth is supposed to release saliva when eating, which in turn eliminates bacteria. However, this does not happen when you are fasting.
Bacteria, as a microorganism, flourish between your teeth and on top of your tongue. When bacteria finds comfort in these areas, they increase and release foul toxins and odor.
Apart from bacteria, plague and health conditions such as ulcers and diabetes can also cause bad odor in the mouth. There are two kinds of teeth plague: soft and hard. Plague encourages the growth of bacteria due to the compilation of dead cells, saliva, food, and mucus.
However, this doesn’t have to be you. You can prevent this condition using simple, yet effective methods. These include:
How to fight bad breath
petai, garlic anddurian are some of the smelly foods that cause bad breath. Therefore, just avoid them. These big offenders have substances that make them smell awful. Surprisingly, these substances enter into the bloodstream, and move to your lungs, hence you exhale them.
- But if you cannot avoid them, just ensure you brush your teeth as well as your tongue at least two times a day, with the right toothpaste.
- In addition, you can floss at least one time a day. Flossing will remove any invisible food pieces and eradicate plaque, a bacteria coat on your teeth that lead to bad breath.
- Do you like using mouthwash after brushing? Well, avoid using too much of it. Once a day is enough. Using mouthwash excessively could wash away the good bacteria. Alternatively, you can use peroxide as your mouthwash to eradicate bacteria.
- Say no to your tobacco and alcohol habit – Did you know that alcohol lowers the release of saliva? Well, now you know. If your mouth does not produce enough saliva then bacteria will develop. Lack of enough saliva does not only lead to bad breath, but also makes your tooth to decal as well. On the other hand, alcohol and cigarettes can lead to gingivitis and periodontitis
- Take lots of water, especially in the morning and during the day. This will ensure that your body is not dehydrated. Failure to take enough fluids might make your mouth dry, hence bad breath.
- In addition to water, eat lots of vegetables and fruits such as yam, apples and carrots.
- Eat cheese – Cheese is rich in phosphates, which is responsible for saliva release. It also contains low levels of carbohydrates and high calcium, which decreases the development of tartar.
- Consume lots of spices like cardamom, tarragon, coriander, rosemary, and mint to fight bad breath.
- Melons, berries, and oranges are rich in C vitamin. These fruits do form an inhospitable atmosphere for bacteria to flourish. Therefore, consume food and any fruit rich in vitamin C, but avoid supplements. In fact, supplements do cause bad mouth breath.
Here is the point…..
You should not entertain bad breath, and let it ruin your social life. Instead, use these simple tips to turn the awful smell to a fresh, welcoming breath. If you follow these steps and still have bad breath, perhaps you should see a dentist. Your doctor will check whether the problem is related to your habit or health condition and advise you accordingly.