Acne can affect anyone, regardless of age or gender. In America, for instance, around 17 million citizens do get acne, ranking it the top skin condition affecting both adults and children.
Naturally, our skin is supposed to have moisture. It does so with the help of lubricants coming from the oil/sebum produced by sebaceous glands. However, the glands can a time be extremely active, causing the pores on the skin to close. As a result, our skin gets acne.
Pores get clogged due to certain factors such as ingrown hairs, hormones, dead skin cells, bacteria and excess oil (sebum) production. Acne is not harmful, but as a teenager, it might interfere with your self-esteem. Therefore, it is important to seek ways to treat this condition.
Types of Acne
Acne is either inflammatory or non-inflammatory. Some of the acne types under the two groups include:
- Papules: This is round in shape, solid and pinkish
- Nodules: Just as papules, but a bit big
- Pustules: On its top part of the pimple, it has white pus, but generally appears red. This shows the presence of inflammation on the bottommost side.
- Cysts: When dead skin cells, sebum and bacteria clog your pores, you get cysts. These large white or red bumps are really painful when touched.
- Blackheads: Common kind of acne. Just as its name, blackheads are black dots on the face pores
- Whiteheads: Unlike the blackheads that are black, whiteheads are white and small
Simple ways of treating acne
You might have come across many remedies and medications promising to treat acne. But which are the most natural, safe ones to use?
Importantly, not every treatment or remedy can treat acne. The first step to cure acne is to know what triggered it. Or else, it will recur if you continue with the same lifestyle.
So how can you treat this condition?
1. A mixture of salt and water
Using warm water, add salt to form a salty mixture. Take a clean towel or
Garlic is an antibiotic and it treats many conditions such as acne. Take some garlic cloves and rub on acne a few times.
You can make a face mask by grating cucumber. Apply the mask on face and let it sit for 15 minutes. Besides treating acne, this cucumber mask is suitable for preventing its occurrence in future. More so, it removes all acne scars.
Make a thick paste of honey, flour, water, orange zest (grated) and lemon juice. Apply the paste on every pimple.
Alternative products for acne treatment
Most home remedies do treat acne, but if they do not work for your case, use the following products:
- Laser acne treatment – some acne is stubborn but laser treatment stops that stubbornness.
- Benzoyl peroxide – it works by killing bacteria on the skin.
- Products with sulfur – use products that have sulfur to eradicate dead skin to clear the pores.
- Acupuncture – it uses a needling method
and overcomes acne in just a few treatments
- Antibiotics – if garlic does not work as an antibiotic to cure acne, you can get some antibiotics from a dermatologist or OTC.
In a nutshell, you can use these methods to treat acne. However, the condition can reoccur if you don’t manage your skin well. For instance, you are required to maintain a clean face especially before bed, eat
Acne is a highly prevalent skin condition that can affect anyone, regardless of age. By following these tips, you will be able to have a smooth, acne free skin.